Hi, bbs! I’m Bethany O’Grady—Small Girls PR’s newest RADdition.
You know the feeling you used to get on Christmas morning? When you would wake up, prance into your parent’s bedroom, literally hop on pop, and beg him to take you downstairs to the tree so that you could tear through snowflaked gift wrap? Then the honey-glazed ham, the fire place, and that feeling of family love that left you glowing like the star atop your Christmas tree? That’s what my first day as Small Girls’ new Accounts Assistant felt like to me. Minus the honey-glazed ham.
Here are five things that Bianca, Mallory, and Annie found out about me during my first day on staff:
1. I’m vegan! I walked into our office and Mallory showed me to my new desk where I was greeted by a post card encouraging me to have a “Sweet First Day” that was placed beside a chocolate bar swaddled in a white bow. It was the warmest welcome I’ve ever received! But womp womp, I didn’t get to eat the chocolate bar because I’ve been vegan for three years. It didn’t go to waste, though! I gave it to my downstairs neighbor when I got home from work that night.
2. I’m committed to personal growth. As soon as notorious astrologer Susan Miller puts up monthly horoscopes, I read mine (ARIES) and basically believe every single word she says. In September, Susan insinuated that from now on it is my time to shine, but only if I was committed to bettering myself. As such, I recently quit smoking cigarettes, opting for totally not dorky electronic cigarettes. So far, so good. And Bianca and Mallory told me I can hit the e-cig in the office, too! I also started doing yoga with my kitty, Maple, in the morning before work.
3. I rarely cry during movies. But, like, I still have a heart. After work, Small Girls took a field trip to the Lower East Side to see Perks of Being a Wallflower and celebrate the fabulous PR work they did for the movie. I’m not trying to blow up anyone’s spot here, but all four of us were whimpering like little puppies by the time the credits rolled. I couldn’t believe that I was weeping in public! I mean, I didn’t even cry at the end of The Notebook. Not one tear. That just goes to show you how crazy amazing the Perks movie is. Go see it right meow!
4. If I were a Spice Girl, I’d be Ginger Spice. Cats out of the bag: our team has decided to go as the Spice Girls to our client Flavorpill’s Halloween relaunch party. Without hesitation, I called dibs on Ginger Spice. I was Ginger in my second grade Spice Girls Crew and I’ve adored her ever since. Naturally, because I’m a fiery, energetic, femme like her. Get ready, you’re about to witness some serious girl power on Halloween. Oh, sorry, I meant Small Girl power.
5. I’m a journalist. I went to school for English and Writing. I have two minors—one in Journalism, one in creative writing. My first love will always be writing New York City news (I wrote for Gothamist.com for a year and slept at Zuccotti Park twice to cover Occupy Wall Street for them). After Bianca and I sprinkled some toppings on our giant bags of popcorn at the movie theatre, I told her that although my dream is to be a successful journalist, I think that a career in PR could possibly steal me away from the digital journalism world. I can’t wait to see where my new position at Small Girls takes me. I already feel like I’m on CLOUD 9!